Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Fear Equals Reverence and Awe...

I am being upfront with all of my readers that this post is biblical and built on my observations and research. If you are offended by the Word of God in the form of the Bible I suggest you not read this. With that said for those of you still with me here I go.

In my daily bible reading I am currently reading Psalms and Proverbs in 31 days. It has come to my attention that God asks us to "fear" Him multiple times throughout both books and after a little research I see it is a recurring theme throughout the whole Bible. I must admit that when I was younger and would read "fear the Lord" I wondered why I should be afraid. I can truthfully say I was perplexed and when I found that He asks us to FEAR Him over one hundred times in both the Old and New Testaments I was inquisitive. For those of you who don't know the word fear has multiple meanings and the one the bible uses translates into "to revere and stand in awe of Him..." Which for me makes more sense than to be afraid of Him.

My favorite verse is Proverbs 1:7 which is "The fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and instruction." As a teacher in a public school I would always write someting like Respect is the beginning of knowledge but fools despise wisdom and instruction... DON'T BE A FOOL.

Now that I am done the Mad Genius is ready to carry on the tradition of a This Week in History starting with September 28...

September 28, 1781: The Battle of Yorktown begins.(last major battle of American Revolution)
September 29, 1981: Frank Peters Sr. (my grandfather)  passes away ten minutes after his first great-grandson was born Ryan Joseph Dragstrem (my nephew)
September 29, 1982: cynide laced Tylenol claims sixth victim
September 30, 1938: Munich Pact signed (Hitler appeased)
September 30, 1951: David Dragstrem (my brother) is born...
October 1, 1890: Yosemite National Park established by Congress...
October 1, 1949: Mao Zedong proclaims Peoples Republic of China
October 1, 1971: Walt Disney World Resort officially opens
October 2, 1967: Thurgood Marshall sworn in as first African American Supreme Court Justice...
October 3, 1863: President Lincoln proclaims official Thanksgiving holiday
October 3, 1990: East and West Germany unite after 45 years
October 4, 1965: Pope Paul VI becomes first pope to visit US




Walt Disney World...



No comments:

Post a Comment